Sykes was a powerful upper-level demon. He had similar physical attributes and powers as the half-demon Belthazor. Similar to Belthazor, Sykes had a human form and sought to emulate him after Cole Turner had renounced his demonic legacy.
He took on Cole's old cover as an Assistant District Attorney in order to get close to and kill good witches. He first set his sights on the Triple Crescent Coven, and succeeded in killing three of its members. He would have killed a fourth, Susan Coleman, had the Charmed Ones not intervened.
Sykes then decided to kill the Charmed Ones. However, Cole suspected this as well. He quickly realized that he was no longer powerful enough to kill Sykes, but feared the only way to do it would be to re-embrace his demonic side. However, he told Phoebe to have the Belthazor potion ready, fearing that he might not be able to turn back to good.
Sykes lured Cole, Piper and Paige to the mausoleum, where a magical trap was set, but only as a diversion so he could get to Phoebe, knowing she was Cole's weakest spot. He then tied up Phoebe in the attic. Cole tracked him down, turned into Belthazor, and killed Sykes with his own athame after going fully demonic.
Powers and Abilities
- Energy Balls: The ability to throw spheres of magical energy capable of vanquishing lower-level beings.
- Shapeshifting: The ability to alter one's physical shape. Sykes could shapeshift between his demonic and human form at will.
- Shimmering: The ability to teleport by shimmering from place to place.
- Super Strength: The ability to possess strength beyond humanly possible.
- Sensing: The ability to sense the location of other magical beings.
- Adjusting: The ability to fight through inhibitory molecular powers such as Molecular Immobilization.
- High Resistance: The ability to be highly resistant to physical and magical harm.
- Immortality: The ability to possess an infinite lifespan and an arrested aging process.
Notes and Trivia
- Due to their similarity, it is theorized that Sykes belonged to the same demonic species as Belthazor. For similar reasons, it is also possible Sykes is a half-demon like Belthazor.
- During the fight scene between Belthazor and Sykes, Aaron Brumfield had to "choke" Belthazor. Michael Bailey Smith said in a commentary that Aaron really began choking him, by accident, and almost had to yell cut.
- The name Sykes is a play on the word "yikes". When Leo walked in with the Toy Baby that was burnt, Piper said what happened, and Leo said Sykes.
Sykes appeared in a total on 1 episode over the course of the series.
|Charmed, Season 4|
|#01||"Charmed Again, Part 1"||#09||"Muse to My Ears"||#17||"Saving Private Leo"|
|#02||"Charmed Again, Part 2"||#10||"A Paige from the Past"||#18||"Bite Me"|
|#03||"Hell Hath No Fury"||#11||"Trial by Magic"||#19||"We're Off to See the Wizard"|
|#04||"Enter the Demon"||#12||"Lost and Bound"||#20||"Long Live the Queen"|
|#05||"Size Matters"||#13||"Charmed and Dangerous"||#21||"Womb Raider"|
|#06||"A Knight to Remember"||#14||"The Three Faces of Phoebe"||#22||"Witch Way Now?"|
|#08||"Black as Cole"||#16||"The Fifth Halliwheel"|