Shimmering is an energy-based method of teleportation that allows users to appear at and disappear from a desired location. When teleporting, the user shimmers, distorting the space around them for a moment. This is a common power among demons.
Shimmering allows demons to travel anywhere in the world, as well to different planes or timelines, such as time loops. They can also shimmer with other beings as long as there is physical contact.
Demons can be vanquished while in mid-shimmer if one is fast enough; Phoebe Halliwell was once able to vanquish several demons this way while possessing demonic powers and Piper blew up Dumain as he tried to escape.
List of Users
- Elizabeth Turner
- The Devil
- The Dogan
- Swarm Demons
- Rat Demons
- Demonic Power Brokers
- Mercury Demons
- Possessor Demons
- Chameleon Demons
- Thorn Demons
- Brute Demons
- The Order
- Through spell, potion, power stealing, etc.
|The Shimmering article has a Photo Gallery.|
Notes and Trivia
- During an interview between Julie and Cole Turner, Julie states that she can shimmer 30 miles in 2 seconds.
- After Orbing, Shimmering is the most often seen method of teleportation.
- While the appearance of shimmering is portrayed mostly consistent, there are uncommon variations shown throughout the series.
- Klea and Vicus possess a variant to Shimmering, which leaves the eyes glowing for a moment. Vicus could also leave his smile.
- Andras also has a unique method of Shimmering with a distinct red glow.
- Certain demons have a method of Shimmering which slightly glows as they use it. This could be a slight alteration in the special effects.
- The Charmed Ones always discussed how their powers were connected to their emotions and shimmering may also be such. When Phoebe accused Cole of being evil when he killed Janna, he was distraught, and his shimmering was slower. When Cole and Phoebe were chasing Paige, Cole was blasted off a catwalk by Shax, and he shimmered out very quickly.
- When the demon Vandalus was trying to seduce Paige (Garden of Evil), he erected a barrier around his mansion that prevented anything good from coming through it, but Cole was able to get through it with relative ease as the barrier couldn't prevent evil getting through. At the time, Cole noted that he had never tried to take more than one person with him while shimmering before, but he managed to take himself, Phoebe, Piper and Leo through the barrier with no problems.