Charmed: The Complete Fourth Season was released in a six-disc box set on February 28, 2006 and later in a complete collection on November 18, 2008.
The Charmed Ones, modern-day urban witches Phoebe (Alyssa Milano), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Paige (Rose McGowan), move into Season Four with deeper, darker and more deftly crafted stories. As Piper and Phoebe struggle with the loss of their older sister, they discover the existence of half-sister Paige Matthews. Possessing the power to orb as a half-Whitelighter, Paige joins the Halliwell sisters to recreate the magical triad that protects the innocent and vanquishes evil. But all may be lost as Cole's (Julian McMahon) demonic side takes over, and Leo (Brian Krause) must face his past if he is to help the sisters in a battle that could destroy them all.
With intriguing characters, amazing special effects and the perfect brew of suspense, drama and humor, each exciting episode in this fascinating supernatural series casts a gripping spell.
Cast and characters
- Holly Marie Combs as Piper Halliwell
- Alyssa Milano as Phoebe Halliwell
- Rose McGowan as Paige Matthews
- Brian Krause as Leo Wyatt
- Julian McMahon as Cole Turner (Does not appear in "Size Matters", "A Knight to Remember", "Trial by Magic" and "Womb Raider")
- Dorian Gregory as Darryl Morris (Does not appear in "Hell Hath No Fury", "Enter the Demon", "Size Matters", "A Knight to Remember", "Brain Drain", "Muse to My Ears", "Trial by Magic", "Lost and Bound", "The Three Faces of Phoebe", "The Fifth Halliwheel", "Saving Private Leo", "Bite Me", "We're Off to See the Wizard" and "Long Live the Queen")
- Jennifer Rhodes as Penny Halliwell
- Finola Hughes as Patty Halliwell
- James Read as Victor Bennett
- Debbi Morgan as The Seer
- David Reivers as Bob Cowan
- Rebecca Balding as Elise Rothman
Notes and Trivia
|The Season 4 article has a Photo Gallery.|
- The DVD box-set of this season was released on the twenty-eighth of February 2006 in region 1 (The U.S., Canada) and for all other regions in November and December 2005 or January 2006. It was released in June and July 2006 (as two parts) in Japan. As with previous seasons it doesn't include any bonus features.
- Rose McGowan joins the main cast as Paige Matthews, Piper and Phoebe's half-sister, after Shannen Doherty's departure from the series. "Charmed" producers originally wanted to recast Prue's role and approached ex-”Party of Five” star Jennifer Love Hewitt and Tiffani Thiessen (who replaced Doherty in Beverly Hills, 90210). Both declined and thus the producers decided to kill of Prue and replace her with a long-lost sister in favor of having "a fresh face" join the series. Other actresses considered for the role of Paige included Denise Richards and Charisma Carpenter (who would later portray Kyra in the 7th season).
- The opening credits has gotten a total make-over due to the departure of Shannen Doherty from the series. Alyssa Milano has been put first, followed by Rose McGowan, followed by Holly Marie Combs who is now credited with "And ... As 'Piper'". Dorian Gregory and Julian McMahon switch places as well.
- Netflix incorrectly lists each episode of this season one number behind their actual production number. This is due to the first two episodes, Charmed Again, Part 1 and Charmed Again, Part 2 being counted as one episode. This will happen again for both the season premiere and finale for Season 5 and again for Season 6.
- This is the first season to feature a two hour long season premiere for which a special, shorter opening was created. The opening features a flashing triquetra and the word Charmed popping onto the screen. Behind the title, a glowing triquetra draws itself until everything flashes away. This opening would be used again for season 5.
- This season is considered the darkest amongst fans due to the Source/Cole-becoming-evil-again storyline, and the dealing-with-death theme at the beginning of the season.
- The main three actresses, Alyssa Milano, Rose McGowan, and Holly Marie Combs, as well as Brian Krause appeared in every episode of the season. The rest of the male leads did not.
- Originally, "Charmed and Dangerous" was planned to be the season finale with "Cole-becoming-the-Source" serving as the main storyline for the series' fifth season.
- The source is vanquished twice in this Season and is vanquished another two times once in season 8 and once in season 9.
- The huge gap, story-wise, between "All Hell Breaks Loose" and "Charmed Again" has left many fans wondering what exactly happened during that period. When season 4 premiered, some even thought they had missed an episode.
- This season introduces a few new characters to the show:
- The Seer: The Source's aide, portrayed by Debbi Morgan.
- Glen Belland: A good friend of Paige Matthews, portrayed by Jesse Woodrow.
- Elise Rothman: Phoebe's boss at The Bay Mirror, portrayed by Rebecca Balding
- Bob Cowan: Paige's boss at South Bay Social Services, portrayed by David Reivers.
- The Source's Heir: Phoebe and Cole's baby.
- The sisters' powers develop this season as followed: Piper eventually learns to willfully alternate between her freezing and exploding powers, Phoebe continues to incorporate her Levitation with hand-to-hand combat and Paige starts to work out the kinks of some of her Whitelighter powers along with using her telekinetic orbing power in combat.
- This season features only one death by a Charmed One, making this the season with the least deaths of any of the Charmed Ones.
|No in series||No in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production code|
|67||1||"Charmed Again, Part 1"||Michael Schultz||Brad Kern||October 4, 2001||4301801|
|Phoebe and Piper grieve over Prue's death and struggle with the demise of the Power of Three until they discover the existence of half-sister Paige, a Whitelighter.|
|68||2||"Charmed Again, Part 2"||Michael Schultz||Brad Kern||October 4, 2001||4301801|
|An 48-hour window endangers the Charmed Ones as Paige has yet to choose which side she'll serve, a flaw in the Grand Design which The Source employs to entice Paige to the side of evil.|
|69||3||"Hell Hath No Fury"||Chris Long||Krista Vernoff||October 11, 2001||4301069|
|Paige steals the Book of Shadows for personal gain, while Piper's inability to deal with Prue's death makes her vulnerable to demon vigilantes.|
|70||4||"Enter the Demon"||Joel J. Feigenbaum||Daniel Cerone||October 18, 2001||4301071|
|Paige creates havoc when she mixes potions that switch her body with Phoebe's, and must battle evil that has opened a portal between two worlds.|
|71||5||"Size Matters"||Noel Nosseck||Nell Scovell||October 25, 2001||4301070|
|A hideous demon shrinks Phoebe to a powerless five inches and uses her as bait to trap the other two sisters.|
|72||6||"A Knight to Remember"||David Straiton||Alison Schapker & Monica Breen||November 1, 2001||4301072|
|When Paige discovers she was an evil enchantress in a past life after conjuring a medieval prince, Phoebe and Piper are trapped in the Dark Ages.|
|73||7||"Brain Drain"||John Behring||Curtis Kheel||November 8, 2001||4301073|
|When The Source taps into Piper's brain and alters her perception of reality, Phoebe and Paige work quickly before she gives up all of their powers.|
|74||8||"Black as Cole"||Les Landau||Abbey Campbell, Brad Kern & Nell Scovell||November 15, 2001||4301074|
|Phoebe encounters Cole's demonic past when the sisters help a widow seek vengeance on a demon that killed her fiancé.|
|75||9||"Muse to My Ears"||Joel J. Feigenbaum||Krista Vernoff||December 13, 2001||4301075|
|The sisters fiercely battle warlocks who are enslaving the world's muses to use their divine creative inspiration for evil.|
|76||10||"A Paige from the Past"||James L. Conway||Daniel Cerone||January 17, 2002||4301076|
|Haunted by her parents' tragic deaths, Paige travels back in time while Piper must prevent the marriage of Phoebe and Cole, whose bodies are inhabited by outlaw ghosts.|
|77||11||"Trial by Magic"||Chip Scott Laughlin||Michael Gleason||January 24, 2002||4301077|
|Phoebe must convince other jury members of the existence of magic while Piper, Paige and Leo frantically try to find the real killer in time to free an innocent man.|
|78||12||"Lost and Bound"||Noel Nosseck||Nell Scovell||January 31, 2002||4301078|
|The sisters must teach a 10-year-old Firestarter how to use his power for good before his demon bounty hunter foster parents find him.|
|79||13||"Charmed and Dangerous"||Jon Paré||Alison Schapker & Monica Breen||February 7, 2002||4301079|
|The Source taps into the ultimate power of The Hollow, which consumes all magical powers, to unleash an ancient evil that goes after the sisters' powers.|
|80||14||"The Three Faces of Phoebe"||Joel J. Feigenbaum||Curtis Kheel||February 14, 2002||4301080|
|When Phoebe casts a spell to decide if she should marry Cole, she faces her past and future, while Cole is unable to control the evil growing within him.|
|81||15||"Marry-Go-Round"||Chris Long||Daniel Cerone||March 14, 2002||4301081|
|Phoebe fights with her sisters on her wedding day while The Source, which has completely taken over Cole, orchestrates a demonic ceremony.|
|82||16||"The Fifth Halliwheel"||David Straiton||Krista Vernoff||March 21, 2002||4301082|
|Paige, who feels like a fifth wheel among her happily married sisters and husbands, becomes convinced that Cole is still a demon.|
|83||17||"Saving Private Leo"||John Behring||Daniel Cerone & Doug E. Jones||March 28, 2002||4301083|
|When two ghosts seeking revenge on Leo kill Piper, Phoebe and Paige face the horror of losing another sister.|
|84||18||"Bite Me"||John T. Kretchmer||Curtis Kheel||April 18, 2002||4301084|
|Trying to unseat Cole as ruler of the Underworld, a vampire queen turns Paige into a bloodsucker and urges her to feed on Phoebe and Piper.|
|85||19||"We're Off to See the Wizard"||Timothy Lonsdale||Alison Schapker & Monica Breen||April 25, 2002||4301085|
|Piper and Paige help a wizard stop the coronation of a new Source, unaware that Cole is the new Underworld head and Phoebe is his Evil Queen.|
|86||20||"Long Live the Queen"||Jon Paré||Krista Vernoff||May 2, 2002||4301086|
|When Phoebe helps her sisters save an innocent, she and Cole face a bloody coup, unless she proves her dark allegiance by killing Piper and Paige.|
|87||21||"Womb Raider"||Mel Damski||Daniel Cerone||May 9, 2002||4301087|
|When Phoebe's baby shows signs of her demonic powers, The Seer plots to steal the baby and gain the power bestowed upon the heir of The Source.|
|88||22||"Witch Way Now?"||Brad Kern||Brad Kern||May 16, 2002||4301088|
|As a reward for vanquishing the Source of All Evil, the Angel of Destiny offers the sisters a chance to relinquish their powers and lead normal lives.|