This is the last season to feature original cast member Shannen Doherty, as she left the series at the end of the season.
Charmed: The Complete Third Season was released in a six-disc box set on November 15, 2005, and later in a complete collection on November 18, 2008.
Three times is a charm! This season has three times the power, as well as all of the supernatural thrills and excitement, as The Charmed Ones -- Prue (Shannen Doherty), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) -- deal with being modern-day witches.
How could life get any more complicated for the Halliwell sisters? One learns that her greatest love is also her greatest enemy; another defies The Powers That Be to marry; and tragedy unexpectedly befalls the third, leaving the sisters powerless to stop it.
The perfect potion of suspense-filled adventure, crafty humor and dynamic heroines casts a spell that brings you 22 episodes of pure viewing magic.
Cast and characters
- Shannen Doherty as Prue Halliwell
- Holly Marie Combs as Piper Halliwell
- Alyssa Milano as Phoebe Halliwell
- Brian Krause as Leo Wyatt
- Julian McMahon as Cole Turner (Does not appear in "Coyote Piper", "We All Scream for Ice Cream", "Blinded by the Whitelighter", "Wrestling with Demons", "Pre-Witched" and "Sin Francisco")
- Dorian Gregory as Darryl Morris (Does not appear in "Magic Hour", "Once Upon a Time", "Primrose Empath", "Power Outage", "Sleuthing with the Enemy", "Coyote Piper", "We All Scream for Ice Cream", "Blinded by the Whitelighter", "Bride and Gloom", "The Good, the Bad and the Cursed", "Death Takes a Halliwell", "Pre-Witched", "The Demon Who Came in From the Cold" "Exit Strategy" and "Look Who's Barking")
- Jennifer Rhodes as Penny Halliwell
- Finola Hughes as Patty Halliwell
- James Read as Victor Bennett
- Simon Templeman as The Angel of Death
Notes and Trivia
|The Season 3 article has a Photo Gallery.|
- The opening credits feature new clips for the three main lead actresses. Brian Krause and Dorian Gregory's clips remain the same and have switched places. Julian McMahon is added as he joins the main cast in the season premiere as assistant D.A. Cole Turner.
- This is the last season where the sister's powers are displayed before their name clips in the opening credits.
- Prue is the only character who displays two powers in the opening credits.
- The DVD box-set of this season was released on the fifteenth of November 2005 in region 1 (The U.S., Canada) and for all other regions in September or October. It was released in April and May (as two parts) in Japan. As with previous seasons, it doesn't include any bonus features.
- The DVD box-set for regions 2 & 4 is different than the box-set for region 1. While the colors of the box-sets are the same (although the color is lighter in region 1), the pictures are not. Region 2 features different pictures of the three leads, their clothing photoshopped to be black. The pictures used on the front of region 1's sets are on the back of region 2's and vice versa; so technically both sets use the same pictures, just in different places.
- The region 2 box-set spoils the fact one of the sisters (Prue) dies and that they have a half-sister.
- Shannen Doherty directed two episodes in this season; "The Good, the Bad and the Cursed" and "All Hell Breaks Loose".
- This is Shannen Doherty's last season as Prue Halliwell.
- This is the first season to feature James Read as the father of The Charmed Ones; Victor Bennett. Read was cast after the network found Anthony Denison (who originally played the part of the sisters' father) to be more of a love interest for Doherty's character, Prue.
- There were no promotional pictures made for this season. Instead, the pictures for season 2 were used.
- By the end of this season, all three sisters possess two powers. Phoebe gains Levitation in The Honeymoon's Over, Piper gains Molecular Combustion in Exit Strategy while Prue does not gain a new power, instead develops hand-to-hand fighting skills to go in hand with her magical powers.
- The main three actresses, Shannen Doherty, Holly Marie Combs, and Alyssa Milano, as well as Brian Krause appeared in every episode of the season. The rest of the male leads did not.
- Shannen Doherty and Holly Marie Combs have stated during a panel at the 2013 Oz Comic-Con in Melbourne that they both consider season 3 to be the best season of the show.
- The Source of All Evil is more involved with the plot in this season than in the first two seasons
|No in series||No in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production code|
|45||1||"The Honeymoon's Over"||James L. Conway||Brad Kern||October 5, 2000||4300045|
|Prue and Phoebe set a killer free in order to protect their identities, then must fight a soul-stealing Guardian without Piper, who has disappeared with Leo.|
|46||2||"Magic Hour"||John Behring||Zack Estrin & Chris Levinson||October 12, 2000||4300046|
|Piper and Leo defiantly attempt to marry in spite of the wrath from The Powers That Be, as a demon infiltrates the three Charmed Ones.|
|47||3||"Once Upon a Time"||Joel J. Feigenbaum||Krista Vernoff||October 19, 2000||4300047|
|Piper goes on strike against The Powers That Be, so Prue and Phoebe must work alone to save a little girl protecting a fairy princess from trolls.|
|48||4||"All Halliwell's Eve"||Perry Lang||Sheryl J. Anderson||October 26, 2000||4300048|
|The Halliwell sisters travel back to the 1600s to protect a coven in danger of extinction and save their own future.|
|49||5||"Sight Unseen"||Perry Lang||William Schmidt||November 2, 2000||4300049|
|An invisible demon is sent be the Triad to destroy the sisters as Prue obsesses over a human stalker who seeks to kill her.|
|50||6||"Primrose Empath"||Mel Damski||Daniel Cerone||November 9, 2000||4300051|
|Piper and Phoebe race against time to save a cursed Prue, who has been tricked by Cole into helping a demon.|
|51||7||"Power Outage"||Craig Zisk||Monica Breen & Alison Schapker||November 16, 2000||4300050|
|Cole/Belthazor invokes an anger demon to pit the sisters against each other, rendering them powerless and vulnerable to attack.|
|52||8||"Sleuthing with the Enemy"||Noel Nosseck||Peter Hume||December 14, 2000||4300052|
|Prue and Piper team up with a bounty hunter demon to destroy Belthazor, but Phoebe has other plans for the man she loves.|
|53||9||"Coyote Piper"||Chris Long||Krista Vernoff||January 11, 2001||4300053|
|When a life essence takes possession of Piper, her soul is at risk of dying if Prue and Phoebe don't kill her body.|
|54||10||"We All Scream for Ice Cream"||Allan Kroeker||Chris Levinson & Zack Estrin||January 18, 2001||4300054|
|Phoebe and Prue battle to save innocent children from the force of The Nothing but must enlist the help of their father to do so.|
|55||11||"Blinded by the Whitelighter"||David Straiton||Nell Scovell||January 25, 2001||4300055|
|The Charmed Ones battle their most powerful opponent, an ancient warlock who threatens the existence of all Whitelighters.|
|56||12||"Wrestling with Demons"||Joel J. Feigenbaum||Sheryl J. Anderson||February 1, 2001||4300056|
|When Phoebe confesses that she let Cole escape, a betrayed Prue and Piper must put their feelings aside to stop Prue's old boyfriend from becoming a demon.|
|57||13||"Bride and Gloom"||Chris Long||William Schmidt||February 8, 2001||4300057|
|Phoebe turns to Cole for help when a demon tricks Prue into marriage so he can turn the sisters evil and get the Book of Shadows.|
|58||14||"The Good, the Bad and the Cursed"||Shannen Doherty||Monica Breen & Alison Schapker||February 15, 2001||4300058|
|Phoebe's visit to a ghost town becomes a nightmare, and when Leo can't help her, Prue and Cole must unravel the mystery to save her.|
|59||15||"Just Harried"||Mel Damski||Daniel Cerone||February 22, 2001||4300059|
|Piper begs for a demon-free wedding day, but her marriage to Leo is put on hold when Prue is accused of murder.|
|60||16||"Death Takes a Halliwell"||Jon Paré||Krista Vernoff||March 15, 2001||4300060|
|Prue faces the Angel of Death while two seeker demons kill everything in their way to find and kill Cole.|
|61||17||"Pre-Witched"||David Straiton||Chris Levinson & Zack Estrin||March 22, 2001||4300061|
|The Charmed Ones battle a warlock that gets stronger every time it is vanquished, as Piper wrestles with her decision to move out of the manor.|
|62||18||"Sin Francisco"||Joel J. Feigenbaum||Nell Scovell||April 19, 2001||4300062|
|When the sisters fight a demon cursing people with the seven deadly sins, they must first save themselves from succumbing to the powers of their own sins.|
|63||19||"The Demon Who Came in from the Cold"||Anson Williams||Sheryl J. Anderson||April 26, 2001||4300063|
|The sisters and Leo count on Cole to help them when he goes undercover in The Brotherhood of demons, but can he be trusted?|
|64||20||"Exit Strategy"||Joel J. Feigenbaum||Peter Hume & Daniel Cerone||May 3, 2001||4300064|
|When Cole is framed for the killing of a witch the sisters tried to protect, he finds it harder to contain his dark side, while Piper can no longer control her powers.|
|65||21||"Look Who's Barking"||John Behring|| Teleplay by: Curtis Kheel & Monica Breen & Alison Schapker|
Story by: Curtis Kheel
|May 10, 2001||4300065|
|Prue becomes a dog to help track down a Banshee demon, but then the demon attacks Phoebe and Cole must save her.|
|66||22||"All Hell Breaks Loose"||Shannen Doherty||Brad Kern||May 17, 2001||4300066|
|When Piper and Prue are exposed as witches, Phoebe sacrifices herself to the dark side to save them but the deal destroys them all.|