Potions are primarily liquids with magical properties; however, some can exist as powders or gels. Brewed with the necessary herbs, spices, or other various ingedients, these magical substances can achieve various effects. The effect of a potion depends on the used ingredients or accompanied spell.
The Halliwell Family
The Halliwell sisters have been known to employ cosmetic bottles to contain the potions they concoct, and Piper is widely considered the best potion-maker among the Charmed Ones, due to years of experience along with her natural talent and training as a professional chef. She was shown to be extremely adept in creating potions for various effects, including replicating her powers of molecular combustion and molecular immobilization.
Usage of Potions
Potions can be used in various ways. Some potions are meant to be consumed to be effective, while most potions can be thrown at the target or shattered on the floor in front of them.
Vanquishing potions can commonly be thrown at the target, while the Power Binding potion has to be consumed. Some potions are required to be used in combination with a spell to achieve the desired effect or a spell can be used to increase the power or vice versa.
- Animal Transformation Potion: This potion turns the victim into an animal, presumably by choice of the user, and can be undone with another potion.
- Binding Potion: This potion causes the powers of a magical being to be neutralized.
- Blinding Potion: A potion created by Piper Halliwell to prevent warlocks from blinking by generating a blinding flash of light.
- Power Stripping Potion: This potion has the power to take away the magic of a being forever.
- Power Tripling Potion: This potion triples the powers of the drinker.
- Sleeping Potion: This potion causes the victim to fall into a deep sleep.
- Teleportation Potion: This potion teleports beings from place to place.
- Upper Level Demon Vanquishing Potion: This potion destroys an Upper Level Demon using their tissues.
- Bat Guano
- Beer Root
- Beetle Toe
- Billing's Root
- Blood Meal
- Burdock Root
- Cockle Shells
- Comfrey Root
- Crow Feathers
- Demon Flesh
- Elm Bark
- Eye of Newt
- Fairy Wings
- Gypsy Blood
- Hemlock Root
- Hollyhock Seeds
- Holy Thistle
- Kotochul Egg
- Mustard Seed
- Nux Oil
- Pig's Feet
- Ragged Robin
- Shisandra Root
- Snake Skin
- Spotted Owl Feather
- Twice Blessed Water
- Yarrow Root
Notes and Trivia
- The evil witch, Tuatha, was also extremely adept in creating and utilising potions - one of her potions literally knocked Piper and Phoebe off their feet, her sleeping potion immediately put Phoebe and Leo to sleep, and another potion of hers trapped Prue and Piper by turning their feet to stone.
- The gypsy, Lydia Nicolae, was another proficient in potions - she could brew potions using ingredients that even the Charmed Ones had not previously considered, and could utilise ingredients to achieve a form of teleportation.
- The warlock, Bacarra, once noted that the Book of Shadows had a potion for every demon he had ever heard of.
- As her training in the Craft under the Charmed Ones progressed, Billie Jenkins created a teleportation potion, which she later frequently used.
- Holly Marie Combs mentioned on a Charmed panel that the potions were made with food-coloring, and when her character, Piper, brewed potions, they smelled and were "gross". Shannen also commented that they were always basically just water with herbs in them.