Old Friend is the 1st of eight short stories in The Warren Witches. It is written by Laura J. Burns.
Paige Matthews comes across an old friend of hers. All is well except that she has not changed a bit since they last met. When the former invites her to the Manor, she tags along excitedly. But all too soon, she reads a spell from the Book of Shadows and disappears mysteriously. The sisters make it their duty to find her before she is hurt. But as the sisters progress, more facets of the friend crop up. Will they be able to solve the mystery?
Their adventures take them back the roaring 20's when the manor was a speakeasy, a simple spell cast by P. Russell (with the classic black bobbed hair) goes horribly awry. Luckily P. Baxter (who is described as having chestnut hair) is able to fix things. The novel takes place on New Year's, roughly two months before P. Russell's death.
- Piper Halliwell: The middle sister with the power of Molecular Immobilization and Molecular Combustion. She and her sisters go back in time to chase an old acquaintance of Paige's, and unravel more secrets along the way.
- Phoebe Halliwell: The third sister with the power of Premonition and Levitation. She and her sisters go back in time to chase an old acquaintance of Paige's, and unravel more secrets along the way.
- Paige Matthews: The youngest half-sister with the power of Telekinetic Orbing and Orbing. Paige runs into an old friend, who steals a spell from the Book of Shadows to back in time. She and her sisters go after her and unravel more secrets along the way.
- Wyatt Halliwell: Piper and Leo's son. He has powers beyond everyone's comprehension.
- Leo Wyatt: The Charmed Ones' Whitelighter, as well as Piper's husband, and Wyatt's father.
- Emily Griffin: Paige's friend with a secret.
- P. Baxter: The great-grandmother of the Charmed Ones with the power of Molecular Deceleration.
- P. Russell: Phoebe's past incarnation, who accidentally bestowed Emmeline with immortality. Her power was Fire Throwing.
- Prue Halliwell: The eldest Charmed One with the powers of Telekinesis and Astral Projection. She was killed by the demon, Shax. Piper found pictures of little Prue while rummaging through photographs looking for Emmeline's.
- Penny Halliwell: The Charmed Ones' deceased grandmother with the power of Telekinesis.
- Patty Halliwell: The Charmed Ones' deceased mother with the power of Molecular Immobilization.
- Anton: P. Russell's warlock boyfriend, who turned her evil. His powers included Glamouring and Super Strength.
- P. Bowen: Cousins with P. Baxter and P. Russell. She had the power of Cryokinesis.
- Shax: The Source's personal assassin, who killed Prue, and tried to kill Paige before they vanquished him.
- Victor Bennett: Prue, Piper, and Phoebe's father, and Patty's ex-husband.
Book of Shadows
- She lived next door for five years in the 1950s.
It isn't necessarily magical, but the circumstances of Amelia's disappearance are definitely odd. One day she was here, the next she was gone. But she left no forwarding address, she didn't take any of her furniture or clothing, and she never said good-bye although we have been friends for years.
The reason I am suspicious is this, Amelia disappeared the day after meeting Mother, and Mother is positive that she has seen Amelia before. She's getting old now and her memory isn't what it was. But I trust her when she says she recognized Amelia.
When I looked for Amelia, there were no government records on her. And when I scryed for Amelia, I found not a trace of her. It was as if she had never existed.
- She grew old!
To Make the Book Open to the Last Spell Used
- Halliwell Book,
- We need another look;
- Reveal your latest secret.
To Return to the Beginning
- Powers enacted, magic has gone.
- The spell was said,
- And done.
- Return me there to see it again.
Eternal Youth Spell
- Light a circle of crimson candles and when the spell has been said, blow them out in the reverse order.
- Powers of the earth and the land below,
- Witness my beauty, behold my youth.
- Though others here continue to grow,
- Let age pass me by, keep me young in truth.
- Fire Throwing: P. Russell used it to demonstrate her power to Emmeline Graydon, then attempted to kill her before Baxter froze it.
- Force Field: Used by Wyatt to protect Emmeline from P. Russell's fire attack.
- Molecular Deceleration: P. Baxter used it to stop Russell from incinerating Emmeline.
- Orbing: Used by Leo to orb into the manor, and by Wyatt to travel back in time to find Piper.
Notes and Trivia
- It was stated that the story took place in the New Year of 2005 and again in 1924.
Differences from the Show
- Paige was a social worker in the story. She mainly worked as an assistant and only became a social worker for one day before she decided to quit her job in 2003.